Wednesday, June 22, 2011

desperation



I taste desperation
nauseatingly sweet
coating my tongue in fragrant anxiety
stomach churning and little white pills
sitting in the chair
every cell chanting
I need this
give. me. a. chance.
_________________________________
money is different (now)
more than it ever has been
I knew (then)
that I had plenty of options
time
looks
time
ability
time
experience
time

time

time
_______________________________________
joy is draining from the eyes
of every woman I have seen anywhere
at a bus stop
along the paths they run on to stay young
in lines
in waiting rooms
wringing their hands against iphones
worry has become their lover pounding them into submission
gliding over them tainting even the color of a child’s laugh
________________________________________________________

presence and space swallow
fear
as I grab at the nothing concept of freedom
snatching at
the calm of night
awakening knowing
all is going to be alright

alright

alright

as it is
as the fan spins
as I listen to my own
heart
beating through the walls

2 comments:

  1. I like the way you use what I could describe a paradoxic state of emotions in your first poem. I sympathize with the third, I've seen too many women here whom I felt almost exactly as you describe. Thank you for sharing these, dear Nic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. all one poem...but I felt the sections needed to be separated. Much love for being my steady supporter Pedro. <3

    ReplyDelete